    RE: Preliminary San Diego Agenda

    Doug,

    > As there is a 40 minute time-slot for discussion of framing, this would
    then
    > imply there is a TCP protocol that can use framing.

    That would be an incorrect assumption.  The following text (previously
    posted to the list) describes the purpose of this session:

      The Transport Area Directors have asked to have the ips WG
      agenda in San Diego include an overview and discussion of
      both the framing problem(s) and possible solutions.  Aside
      from noting that the iSCSI Urgent mechanism is a proposed
      solution to one form of the framing problem, I'd prefer
      to leave complete definition and explanation of the various
      forms of the framing problem to this session.

      The primary goal of this session in San Diego is to make sure
      that the framing requirements/needs/desires of the ips WG's
      protocols are well understood.

    SCTP is among the topics that are germane for discussion as
    part of this item.

    As to the API issue, all of the identification,
    steering, etc. required to accomplish "framing",
    including steering the data into the right place
    in memory can be accomplished by packet filters,
    or generalizations thereof, which (logically)
    sit below IP in the protocol stack.  Such
    filters can look at data all the way up to
    layer 7 (e.g., a packet filter that switched
    based on the <HEAD> portion of HTML would be
    well within reason).  Packet filters are
    generally transparent to the operation (and
    interoperation) of protocols "on the wire".
    The APIs for such packet filters are outside
    the scope of the ips WG's charter, so I must
    ask you to take discussion of them elsewhere.

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500