    iFCP: Tunneling Example (Was iFCP on the agenda)

    Hi:

    The following diagram is an example of how one might build tunnel-equivalent
    functionality using a switchless iFCP implementation.

    FC<->?_PORT|Switchless iFCP Box|<=IP Cloud=>|Switchless iFCP
    Box|?_PORT|<->FC

    ?_PORT represents a switch vendor's proprietary or standard Fibre Channel
    switch to switch interface. In this example, the iFCP boxes need only make
    the local N_PORTs visible across the IP network.

    Traffic between N_PORTS is handled at wire speed by iFCP hardware. The
    ?_PORT protocol traffic is serviced by iFCP firmware and never appears on
    the IP wire.

    In such an iFCP implementation, the IP fabric is configured automatically
    using the services of iSNS.  In FCIP, the tunnels must be manually
    configured.

    Charles