    RE: iSCSI: Why is ACA optional?

    Charles,

    The concept is to prevent a need to filter CDBs going to devices if the
    application and the device do not both support ACA.  To meet the needs of
    the iSCSI Auto-Sense requirements while not actually obtaining sense
    information from the device would be a technique that would allow a means to
    satisfy both requirements without upsetting a CA device.  Status should be
    enough in this case where Sense would then be obtained explicitly.  SAM
    allows this.  The device would make the decision not to include Sense.  The
    adapter should know if CA and not ACA is supported and make the choice to
    either fake ACA and thus require CDB fiddling or just not send Sense within
    the PDU.  In the latter case, simply allowing that behavior provides the
    option at the device as how best to handle the situation.  The device then
    is not mandated to support ACA and yet still operates correctly in the case
    of an error according to an AutoSense requirement (well almost).  These
    older legacy devices do not adopt newer standards at the same rate as disks
    together with older applications that have been creating dusty libraries.
    Should this be a problem with someone, then insist on always fiddling CDBs
    and faking ACA.

    We have run around in circles on this subject in the past and so I am
    nervous about even breaching the subject once again.