    Re: iSCSI: Towards Urgent Pointer Consensus

    David Robinson wrote:

    > While I am not convinced in the value of using URG, the lack of an API
    > specification MUST NOT stop discussion of the architectural merits.

    A protocol definition does specify what OSI called "services".
    The TCP RFC specifies these before specifying the on-the-wire
    formats and the state machine.

    A change to the services is a change to the protocol, so Douglas
    is correct in as far as a proposal to use URG for inter-PDU
    marking should specify the altered TCP services that this provides
    in an update to the TCP RFC.

    As others have pointed out, such a change obviously requires
    the agreement of people outside of this WG and a discussion
    of the architectural merits must include them and, in the end,
    it is those people that will pass/veto the URG proposal.

    The practical implications seem to be:

     - we need a better handle on the non-URG behaviour of
       iSCSI over TCP.  People with sample implementations
       need to step up to the plate.

     - iSCSI should be specified with TCP as the preferred
       transport, but iSCSI should allow other transports to
       be used (which the enterprise users may choose, since they
       have no firewall concerns, etc).  This probably implies
       splitting the current draft into two: one to define
       the iSCSI PDUs, another to define their encapsulation
       in TCP.  Other WGs have done this (eg: SNMP).

     - negotiation of URG must be easily removed in a future
       draft after some implementation experience has occurred
       and also easily expanded to allow negotiation of some
       other PDU-marking mechanism.

    --
     Glen Turner                                 Network Engineer
     (08) 8303 3936      Australian Academic and Research Network