    Re: ISCSI: Urgent Flag requirement violates TCP.

    • To: "IP Storage Working Group" <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
    • Subject: Re: ISCSI: Urgent Flag requirement violates TCP.
    • From: "Venkat Rangan" <venkat@rhapsodynetworks.com>
    • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 13:49:53 -0800
    • Sender: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    I am sure this was considered and rejected, but I'm unable to locate a
    previous memo/email, in this long thread, where this has been rejected. I
    apologize if this is reopening something that was already settled.

    Is there an alternative to the Urgent Pointer mechanism for framing, where
    TCP implementations can negotiate whether or not they ensure iSCSI header to
    be immediately following the TCP header. While generic TCP stacks may not
    have a notion of higher level protocol framing, what are the downsides to
    two iSCSI peers (and their modified TCP stacks) negotiating this? Each iSCSI
    PDU is limited to the size of a TCP MSS, and that the sender indicates to
    the receiver (at login) that it guarantees that iSCSI header always follows
    TCP header. If a particular sender doesn't indicate this, the TOE can still
    work in a memory-constrained mode. This may cause some TCP segments to be
    short of the agreed-upon MSS (wire usage inefficiency), but is this a
    significant loss?

    Does the WG operating requirement of "MUST work with existing TCP/IP stacks"
    prevent this?

    As long as there are no other intermediate entities terminating the TCP
    connection (such as a Layer 4 load balancer), the TCP segment at the
    receiving end would appear in-tact. If a header alignment violation is found
    (parse error on iSCSI header), the receiver can revert to the memory
    constrained mode.

    Regards,

    Venkat Rangan
    Rhapsody Networks Inc.