    RE: iSCSI: Towards Urgent Pointer Consensus

    David,

    In the latest draft (pg 13) of iSCSI the following statement redefines TCP:

      "The result is that there WILL be a TCP segment with a valid
      TCP pointer (urgent flag set) pointing to the FIRST byte of an iSCSI
      message IN the TCP segment."

    Capitalization was added for emphasis.  The TCP specification clearly
    indicates use of a single Urgent Pointer variable.  By mandating pointer
    placement within the TCP segment, the iSCSI proposal seeks to redefine TCP.
    Second, the 'first' byte is not an accurate statement and is intentionally
    vague to be misleading as to which PDU will be marked.

    At the least, strike this sentence.  If this proposal seeks to not redefine
    TCP then there is no need to specify TCP behavior.  This proposal has yet to
    document an API that can take advantage of this required and likely
    problematic Urgent Pointer Record Marking.  As this mechanism is likely to
    be problematic and the API has yet to be provided, the entire option should
    be removed.  Requiring dramatically different data handling without any
    means to identify whether this option is in use will be to the detriment of
    those making adapters.  The WG may wish to continue discussion as to whether
    the use of flagging the first byte of each PDU as urgent should be a SHOULD,
    but until there is a complete proposal that includes the API, this seem
    premature.

    Doug