    Re: Concensus Call on Urgent Pointer.

    I'd word it closer to:

    "During login, if the target reqests use of the Urgent Pointer (UP) then
    this should be taken as meaning that the target will operate more
    efficiently when the UP is used.  The initiator should make an effort to use
    the UP.  If it is unable (or unwilling, because of user intervention*) to
    use the UP then it must indicate its non-compliance to the target."

    And so on.

    The actual Text messages I'd suggest are; (I=initiator, T=target)

    Text send messages

    -> UrgentPointerFromInitiator: 1    (to indicate I can send UP)
    -> UrgentPointerFromTarget: 1       (to indicate I would like T to use UP)

    Text response messages

    <- UrgentPointerFromInitiator: 1    (to indicate T wants UP)
         or
    <- UrgentPointerFromInitiator: 0    (to indicate T does not want UP)
         or
    <- (no response)                    (to indicate T did not understand UP rq)

    <- UrgentPointerFromTarget: 1       (to indicate T will send UP)
         or
    <- UrgentPointerFromTarget: 0       (to indicate T will not send UP)
         or
    <- (no response)                    (to indicate T did not understand UP rq)

    The default should be TCP normal data (i.e., no UP).

    Daniel Smith

    * Maybe a stack on the system is known to fail with UP, or a firewall/QoS
    router treats bulk urgent data badly.
    --
    IBM Almaden Research Center, 650 Harry Road, San Jose, CA 95120-6099, USA
    K65B/C2 Phone: +1(408)927-2072 Fax: +1(408)927-3010 Home: +1(408)227-5786