    Concensus Call on Urgent Pointer.

    With my TC Hat on:
    I think the point has been made and mostly agreed, that if we are going to
    use the Urgent Pointer to aid the HW NICs, that a negotiated approach
    should be used.  It should be negotiated for each direction (Send &
    Receive) by both sides.  That is, the direction in which the Initiator
    sends data to the Target, and the direction where the Initiator receives
    data from the Target. (And similarly on the Target Side.)

    We are saying that the Initiator should agree to send Urgent Pointer
    information, and may agree to receive Urgent Pointer data. (same thing in
    reverse on the Target side).  It has also been suggested that perhaps the
    specification read "The Initiator Should use the Urgent Pointer when
    sending data, and May accept it on receiving data."  If any initiator does
    not want to use the Urgent Data, it should say so appropriately in the
    initial Login.  In this way, since some believe that the biggest impact to
    SW will be in the Receive Side, SW implementations may respond Negatively
    for Receiving Data, and Positively, (or not at all) for sending Data.  I
    would expect certain HW implementations would want to always use Urgent
    Pointer and will therefore respond Positively (or not at all) to the
    exchange (assuming Positive is the default here).

    There seems gathering support around this compromise position and I am now
    calling this  to be a rough consensus.  A lot of folks, on both sides, have
    moved a long way to tolerate this compromise.  I am,  therefore, hoping
    that the rough consensus holds and we are done with this item.

    TC Hat off.

    .
    .
    .