    RE: SCSI URL scheme [WAS: Re: iSCSI: 2.2.6. Naming & mapping]

    I know that the following is kind of a radical question to ask, but has the time arrived to toss out LUNs as a means of identifying logical units, in favor of simply using the logical units' WWNs directly?

    Currently, an IU containing a SCSI command identifies the target logical unit by a Logical Unit Number. Back in the good ol' days, LUNs were small integers contained directly in each CDB, and were (in practice, if not in theory) a simple index assigned to a specific logical unit throughout its life.

    SCSI has obviously evolved to a far more sophisticated state of affairs. The LUNs have grown to 64 bits, opaque used to identify a logical unit can vary over time, relative to the interface used, and as a function of the initiator's identity.

    The WWNs I've seen used to identify logical units currently range from 64 to 128 bits,