    RE: SCSI URL scheme [WAS: Re: iSCSI: 2.2.6. Naming & mapping]

    Sorry for the previous incomplete post. My mailer misfired...

    I know that the following is kind of a radical question to ask, but has the time arrived to toss out LUNs as a means of identifying logical units, in favor of simply using the logical units' WWNs directly?

    Back in the good ol' days, LUNs were small integers contained directly in each CDB, and were (in practice, if not in theory) a simple index assigned to a specific logical unit throughout its life. SCSI has obviously evolved to a far more sophisticated state of affairs. The LUNs used to identify a logical unit have grown to 64 bits, and can vary over time, vary relative to the target interface used, and vary as a function of the initiator's identity. Clearly, they're not durable identifiers in any useful sense. Further, they've got to be be set up and administered. My sense here is that they've become just so much bureaucracy, to no particularly useful end.

    Currently, an IU containing a SCSI command identifies the target logical unit by a Logical Unit Number. So, in effect, the notion here would be to use the logical unit's WWN in place of the LUN in the command IU. The WWNs I've seen used to identify logical units currently range from 64 to 128 bits, so there's no particular additional overhead involved.

    I think I'm reasonably cognizant of the difficulties imposed by making such a change (changes to SAM, compatibility with existing implementations, etc.)---and that it's really a T10 issue, and not exclusively an iSCSI issue. However, my sense is that the current LUN-based identification mechanism is causing increasing grief, as evidenced by any number of recent postings; and one has to start somewhere...

    Howard Green