    Re: SCSI URL scheme [WAS: Re: iSCSI: 2.2.6. Naming & mapping]

    > out-of-band).  I don't see the point of the initiator sending its "view" to
    > the target at any point.  If the initiator sends an incorrect view, you've
    > just created an error scenario which needs additional definition.

    Well, to extend what Julian said further, the initiator could ask the target
    for a LUN value corresponding to a WWN as part of the authentication process,
    instead of presenting its view - whether right or wrong. But something like
    this needs to be done as there is no easier/faster way to translate a LU WWN
    to a LUN value.

    This may also help in building an authentication method for a LU access where
    no such thing exists today ?

    > case, the target will send its "view" for that initiator in REPORT LUNS
    > SCSI command after login (which is actually the layer that cares about the
    > LUN Map at all anyway).

    This will be a problem if the storage controller has a lot of LUNs. Since
    REPORT LUNS only returns a list of LUNs, the initiator still has to send an
    INQUIRY (page 83) request to each LU to to find a matching LU WWN (or until
    a matching WWN is found).

    -JP