    Re: TCP vs. UDP on SMP

      My recollection of published results on using multiple
    processors for
    TCP in Unix-like operating systems is that the big gains come from using
    different
    processors for different connections rather than handling send and receive
    on a single
    connection on different processors due in part to the send/receive coupling
    required
    by congestion control ... but it's been a while since I've checked/read this
    literature.

    Much agreed. Some quantitative results in:

    Performance Issues in Parallelized Network Protocols, Erich M. Nahum, David J. Yates, James
     F. Kurose, and Don Towsley. USENIX Symposium on Operating Systems Design and
     Implementation (OSDI), Nov., 1994 (Monterey, CA).

    Now that we're in TCP/IP offload age ... Recent programmable network processors throw more silicon (e.g., hardware threads) and expose lower level of control (e.g., asynchronous memory operations) than general-purpose CPUs in SMP boxes. Kind of an SMP on a single chip, really. While the TCP vs. UDP  fundamental parallelization issues are still in the way, I expect that there will be a bunch of parallelization trade-offs more when optimizing TCP on network processors.

    -franco