    RE: A Transport Protocol Without ACK

    No, the adapter does not buffer the data for recovery.  See my detailed
    descriptions of SEND-REQUEST and RECEIVE-RESPONSE in another posting.  The
    data for transmission and retransmission are directly from the application
    software.  This is what SCSI adapters have been doing for many years.  This
    is what iSCSI should do.  No resource is wasted in the adapter.

    > Similarly, the initiator does not send data in TCP unless one has the
    > window space which indicates the target can receive the data.  The
    > reception of this data does not require excessive buffering either since
    > one can use flow through DMA techniques to maintain balance.

    You are talking about RTT from a target, right?  The flow through DMA in the
    adapter is what I am talking about for not needing buffers.

    > Many of the problems in this area are really implementation specific and
    > with some thought, one can implement a thin device and high
    > performance.  The issue is how to insure the windows / buffer
    > resources are
    > kept in balance at any distance without creating jitter.

    I think it is more than implementation. Whenever there are queues, there
    will be head-of-queue blocking that creates deadlock.  Creating asymmetric
    queue is trying to remove the head-of-queue blocking.  When SCSI requests
    and responses are treated like atomic transactions instead of multiple
    PDU-reads and -writes in a transport protocol, it is easy to retry on the
    same connection or retransmit on a different connection.  There is no need
    for additional buffer space.  Many have said that after solving all the
    transmission and congestion problems, eventually one comes back to something
    similar to TCP/IP.  However, the SCSI protocol give us certain attributes
    that we can have reliable delivery and reception without TCP/IP.  The FCP is
    an example.  VI provides different QoS without using stream-oriented READ
    and WRITE functions.  We can certainly have many VI connections in one
    system.

    Let me repeat, a fibre channel adapter today is capable of executing
    hundreds or thousands SCSI-over-FC (FCP) requests without queuing and
    resource allocation issues. When the FC is replaced by an IP network the
    probability of retry becomes higher due to dropped packets. We just have to
    make sure the transport protocol allows retransmission on the same
    connection or a different connection.