    From: wrstuden@wasabisystems.com [mailto:wrstuden@wasabisystems.com]
    Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 1:20 PM
    To: Eddy Quicksall
    Cc: pat_thaler@agilent.com; satran@haifasphere.co.il;
    julian@cs.haifa.ac.il; Black_David@emc.com; dcuddihy@attotech.com;
    ips@ece.cmu.edu
    Subject: RE: StatSN and overlapped commands

    On Wed, 6 Aug 2003, Eddy Quicksall wrote:

    > I don't think we should make it an error if that implies that the target
    > needs to check for the error.

    In my most recent note, I'm suggesting we make it an error, but that we
    let the target ignore the "error" if it has already terminated the task.

    If we don't make it an error, we run into the question of what should a
    target do if the first (status-unacknowledged) task needs to support
    recovery actions. If the second, same ITT, task is allowed to exist, Data
    SNACKs become ambiguous. That strikes me as VERY much against the intent
    of data recovery. :-) Just letting the target report this as an error
    seems the easiest thing to do.

    The reason for letting the target ignore this case is so that we permit
    implementations like Pat was describing. If you know you aren't going to
    do any recovery (either you aren't supporting it or it's a SCSI write
    command and thus the target knows all is done), then it's fine to kill the
    task, and then this case isn't ambiguous.

    > It seems that if the initiator does this, he probably has a bug or a race
    > condition that will lead to a bug later. So isn't it his responsibility to
    > debug his program?

    I agree it's the initiator's problem. The thing is that if we don't make
    it an "error", then the target has to deal with the problem, and the
    corner cases can get messy.

    So to be clear, I'm suggesting the "it's an error you can ignore if it
    isn't a problem" approach so that we give different target implementations
    the room to deal with the situation as they see fit.

    Take care,

    Bill

Last updated: Fri Aug 08 01:19:24 2003
12801 messages in chronological order