    From: Julian Satran [mailto:Julian_Satran@il.ibm.com]
    Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 1:26 PM
    To: pat_thaler@agilent.com
    Cc: Black_David@emc.com; dcuddihy@attotech.com; ips@ece.cmu.edu;
    julian@cs.haifa.ac.il; owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu; satran@haifasphere.co.il
    Subject: RE: StatSN and overlapped commands

    Pat,

    If Status (if required) has to be sent with an associated ITT (it is the
    only way an initiator has to associate a status with a task). If the ITT
    happens to be that of a new task this association may be incorrect. Recall
    that error scenarios can be complex (with some missing statuses and even
    connection failover).
    For all those reason a target accepting recovery must "protect" any ITT
    included in unacknowledged status.

    End-of-thread.
    Julo

    pat_thaler@agilent.com
    Sent by: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu
    06/08/2003 21:02

    satran@haifasphere.co.il
    cc
    julian@cs.haifa.ac.il, Black_David@emc.com, dcuddihy@attotech.com,
    ips@ece.cmu.edu
    Subject
    RE: StatSN and overlapped commands

    Julian,

    For recovery, the target has to remember the status, but that doesn't mean
    it has to keep the task information around. It would have the status
    message linked to StatSN but it would be typical to clear away any task
    context when that message is generated. Remember that when things are very
    busy it might get a single acknowledgement that acknowledges multiple
    status messages from multiple tasks. It isn't efficient to have to go back
    to do the task context clean up when the status ack comes.

    It is the initiator's job to not shoot itself in the foot by issuing a new
    command with the same task tag as one that it hasn't gotten status on yet.
    For the target, once the status is generated, the task is gone. The status
    message may still be there available for a resend, but the task is gone. I
    don't see any requirement in iSCSI or SCSI to do anything other than that.

    Regards,
    Pat