    RE: Tasks Management Actions on Task Sets (10.6.2)

    > I have a question about the descriptions in 10.6.2, "The target."
    >
    > Does this special target handling (wait for all affected
    > iscsi data-phases to complete before passing the task mgmt
    > command to the SCSI layer, plus stat-sn acknowledgment) also
    > apply to the LOGICAL UNIT RESET task management command?

    No - that special handling is necessary for things to carry
    on cleanly after an ABORT or CLEAR TASK SET.  LOGICAL UNIT
    RESET is allowed to be somewhat messier, as it generates a Unit
    Attention condition that the Initiator can use to clean up on
    its side, whereas ABORT and CLEAR TASK SET do not generate their
    own Unit Attention conditions.  A target is not prohibited from
    doing the things described in 10.6.2, but the RESET has to
    happen regardless of the Initiator's cooperation.

    > Can I assume that a lun reset acts like a bunch of abort
    > tasks?  (That's the implication I get from SAM.)

    No - that's necessary, but not sufficient - see Section 5.9.7
    of SAM-2.  RESET really means reset the LUN to its power-on
    condition.  It may be used as part of recovery from an
    unexpected situation that the Initiator doesn't understand
    how it got into, and hence Target dependence on Initiator
    actions to complete the RESET may not be a good idea.

    A useful thing to keep in mind is that the design rationale
    for any RESET operation defined by SCSI is generally "something's
    wrong - put the LU/target back in a known state (power-on-like)
    so the Initiator can do something useful".  That's not the
    only use of RESETs, but it helps explain their intent.

    +1 (508) 293-7953             FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786
    black_david@emc.com        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754

Last updated: Thu May 29 19:19:20 2003
12608 messages in chronological order