    SPC-3 issue of direct interest to iSCSI implementations

    • To: IPS Reflector <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
    • Subject: SPC-3 issue of direct interest to iSCSI implementations
    • From: Ralph Weber <ralphoweber@compuserve.com>
    • Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 12:21:23 -0500
    • Sender: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    An SPC-3 editing review held in preparation for a T10 Letter Ballot
    has uncovered some problems with the definition of iSCSI TransportID
    values.

    TransportIDs are used by Access Controls and Persistent Reservations
    as a way for one initiator port to specify an action affecting
    another initiator port.

    Upon further review, problems have been found in a previously approved
    proposal to use TransportIDs to identify initiators in the PERSISTENT
    RESERVE OUT when the SPEC_I_PT (Specify Initiator Ports) bit is set to
    one.

    In all cases, the changes required to resolve the problems are technical
    in nature and a proposal to effect them has been uploaded:

      ftp://ftp.t10.org/t10/document.03/03-203r0.pdf

    The proposed changes have the potential to affect existing iSCSI
    implementations that support Access Controls or the PERSISTENT
    RESERVE OUT SPEC_I_PT function. So, review and comment by ips
    participants is encouraged. Please direct comments to the T10
    reflector (t10@t10.org).

    WARNING: The proposal as written includes changes to the PERSISTENT
    RESERVE OUT SPEC_I_PT function that are not backward compatible.

    Regards,

    .Ralph

Last updated: Thu May 29 19:19:20 2003
12608 messages in chronological order