    Re: clearing SCSI objects

    On Thu, 1 May 2003, Eddy Quicksall wrote:

    > I have a concern regarding a logout followed by login's with a different
    > ISID from the same initiator device.
    >
    > Here is my concern:
    >
    > -          the target must keep state information for the initiator port
    > after a logout (such as a reservation - but not limited to that). This is
    > because section F.2 says only an I_T Nexus Loss can effect clearing actions
    > on SCSI objects.
    > -          If a target receives a logout, then another login from another
    > initiator (or even another login from the same initiator device but a
    > different ISID) then it must have resources available because it can't clear
    > the SCSI objects from the logged out session.
    > -          The resources can become stale and the target could run out of
    > resources.
    >
    > First, am I correct in the above? If not please explain.
    >
    > If this is correct, I have not found anything in the spec that says how long
    > the SCSI objects must be kept around.

    I think that'd depend on what objects we're talking about, and for the
    most part it is a SCSI issue.

    For reservations, they are supposed to stay around either indefinitely or
    until there's a power cycle (depending on if they are in persistent memory
    or not). There is though no reason that remaining reservations should
    block a new login. Yes, the could interfeer with new registrations or
    reservations, but there is a response for that (off the top of my head,
    there are ASC/ASCQ values for no reservation resources). And there is the
    CLEAR service action, which should wipe them all out if needed.

    Take care,

    Bill

Last updated: Thu May 01 21:19:22 2003
12564 messages in chronological order