    Re: delay before next login

    The text intended was Login.
    Time2Wait is an advisory wait before recovering tasks (that may start with a login).
    Mallikarjun is right that a Login can be stalled at target as well that is why Time2Wait is advisory.
    There is no (direct) relation between Logouts.

    Julo

    "Mallikarjun C." <cbm@rose.hp.com>
    Sent by: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    18/04/03 04:51

    "Eddy Quicksall" <eddy_quicksall@ivivity.com>, Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL
    cc
    <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
    Subject
    Re: delay before next login

    Julian,

    > Eddy,
    >
    > Time2Wait implies it. It talks about reassignment because that is where
    > time counts.
    > There is also a typo in the last statement. Instead of:
    >
    > ...a new Logout may be attempted
    >
    > should read
    >
    > ...a new Login may be attempted

    I think the text intended to say Logout (though one could realize an
    implicit Logout via a Login PDU, the first intended action being Logout).

    Here's the annotated sentence:

    If Time2Wait is 0, the reassignment (when ErrorRecoveryLevel=2 and the
    Logout response code is 0) or a new Logout (when Logout response code is
    2 or 3) may be attempted immediately.

    Note that the scenarios described in paranetheses above are the only
    scenarios when Time2Wait is meaningful - all this sentence is trying to
    do is specify what does a value of zero mean in those two scenarios, due
    to the potential ambiguity around the usage of zero.

    Going back to Eddy's question -

    > I can see a reason to need a delay after a logout but before the next
    > login. Time2Wait does not seem to cover that

    If there's such a need in certain implementations, I'd assume the target'd easily
    be able to make the next connect request/Login request wait.
    --
    Mallikarjun

    Mallikarjun Chadalapaka
    Networked Storage Architecture
    Network Storage Solutions
    Hewlett-Packard MS 5668
    Roseville CA 95747
    cbm@rose.hp.com

    > Eddy Quicksall <eddy_quicksall@ivivity.com>
    > Sent by: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu
    > 17/04/03 17:13

    > "Ips@Ece.Cmu.Edu (ips@ece.cmu.edu)" <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
    > cc
    >
    > Subject
    > delay before next login
    >

    > I can see a reason to need a delay after a logout but before the next
    > login. Time2Wait does not seem to cover that. Is there a way to tell the
    > initiator to wait before logging in again?
    >

    > Eddy
    >
    > EMAIL: Eddy_Quicksall@iVivity.com

Last updated: Fri Apr 18 04:19:40 2003
12526 messages in chronological order