    RE: iSCSI: keys/parameter dependence

    Bob,

    I agree that the wording for 1 that you suggest is better than the current text and If I will have a chance I will do it (during the last correction pass of the RFC editor - called 48 Hours). For your second point  things are more complex and we will probably have to live with the current text.

    "Robert D. Russell" <rdr@io.iol.unh.edu>

    27/01/03 21:43

    Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL, "" <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
    cc
    Subject
    RE: iSCSI: keys/parameter dependence

    Julian:

    A request for clarification on some wording in the current standard
    (draft 20).

    1.  In section 5 on page 50, in the 4th paragraph (the one starting:
           "For the keys that require negotiation ...")
       the second sentence says:
           "The other party (the accepting party) makes a selection
           based on the value or list of values proposed and includes
           the selected value in a key=value in the data part of the
           following Login or Text Response or Request."

       The problem is with the word "following".  A very long discussion
       on the mailing list last June, under the thread
           "iSCSI: keys/parameter dependence"
       made it clear that the reply key=value to an offer does not have
       to be given in the immediately following response pdu, but can be
       delayed until some later time before the end of the negotiation
       stage.  In other words, responses can be saved up and "batched"
       in a later response pdu.

       Therefore, I believe this intent would be better conveyed if the
       words:
           "in the data part of the following Login or Text Response or
           Request"
       in the current text on page 50 quoted above were changed to:
           "in the data part of one of the following Login or Text
                                ^^^^^^
                   ^           ^

    2.  There is a similar problem with some wording in section 8.2, in
       the fourth paragraph (the one starting with "Section 11 ...").
       The discussion in this paragraph talks about "steps", and
       "exact steps", without defining what a "step" is, and I believe
       this may need some clarification.

       Looking at section 11.1.4, the first step is taken by the initiator
       when it sends:
           CHAP_A=<A1,A2...>
       to the target.
       The second step is taken by the target when it answers with a
       Login reject or with:
           CHAP_A=<A> CHAP_I=<I> CHAP_C=<C>

       It is my understanding that in the second step, these 3 keys could
       be sent by the target in any order, for example:
           CHAP_C=<C> CHAP_I=<I> CHAP_A=<A>
       and further, that they could be sent in separate pdus -- that
       is, the target could send
           CHAP_C=<C>
       in one Login Response pdu,
           CHAP_A=<A>
       in the next Login Response pdu, and finally
           CHAP_I=<I>
       in the final Login Response pdu.  All these pdus would belong
       to the same step, and the step would not be completed until
       all the keys had been received, regardless of the number of
       pdus that had to be exchanged to achieve this.

       Is this the correct interpretation of a "step"?

       And are the example exchanges shown above correct
       implementations of the first and second "steps"?

       Perhaps it would be clearer if the word "step" were actually
       used in section 11.1.4.  For example, it could say:

           "For CHAP {RFC1994], in the first step, the initiator
           sends:
               CHAP_A=<A1,A2...>"

           "In the second step, the target MUST answer with .. "

           "In the third step, the initiator MUST continue with ..."

       I believe it is already clear from the wording in section 8.2
       that a new step cannot be started until the previous step is
       completed.

    Thank you for your consideration.

    Bob Russell
    InterOperability Lab