    Re: iSCSI: task reassign of TMF

    Eddy,

    Besides being way to late the text change you request is not getting you any real advantage for the cases in which the action is in the SCSI layer.
    You must track them anyhow as your answer to the TMF must be given after the SCSI layer has done its job (or pretends it has) and the target is required not to pass any additional reponses after the TMF response.

    Julo

    "Eddy Quicksall" <Eddy@Quicksall.com>
    Sent by: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    27/12/02 21:06

    Please respond to
    <Eddy@Quicksall.com>

    <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
    cc
    Subject
    iSCSI: task reassign of TMF

    I know it is a little late to bring this up but incase there is another revision, I thought it would be worthwhile to discuss.

    Section 10.5.1 says that the target MUST reject a task reassignment of a TMF. I think it should be up to the initiator to follow the protocol and up to the target to check that he does. To adhere to this MUST, the target will have to track all tasks even though they have passed on to the SCSI layer or require the SCSI layer to understand this rule. If we want wire speed, we should not require such tracking in the spec ... that should be an implementation issue.

    A well checked out initiator will not violate the protocol and to make the target do more work for something that will not happen is a waste of time. The target should just be responsible to protect itself against a crash.

    I suggest the verbiage be changed to "such a request MAY result in ...".

    re:

    At the target a TASK REASSIGN function request MUST NOT be executed to reassign the connection allegiance of a Task Management function request an active text negotiation task, or a Logout task; such a request MUST result in Task Management response of "Function rejected".

    Eddy

Last updated: Tue Dec 31 15:19:04 2002
12103 messages in chronological order