    From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand [mailto:harald@alvestrand.no]
    Sent: Monday, November 04, 2002 1:44 PM
    Subject: Introducing the ID tracker

    Hello,

    The IESG is always trying to work better.
    We have gotten a number of comments from the community that it is sometimes
    very hard to find out what the IESG is doing to documents, why documents
    take a long time to process, who makes comments, what the comments are and
    so on, and that this is a significant source of frustration for the
    community.

    For the last year or so, the secretariat has been working on a tool to help
    us keep track of what documents are on our plate, what state they are in
    and who is responsible for them; we call it the "ID tracker". It's been in
    use for about 6 months now, and has definitely improved our ability to keep
    track.

    For several months, the "status of items" pages on the IESG web pages have
    been generated from this tool, showing the high-order bit of who we think
    is responsible.

    In order to help you know more about what we are doing, we've decided to
    open up a public view of the ID tracker itself.

    This will allow you to search for the documents you want to look at, and
    for each document see:

    - What its current state is
    - What the history of IESG processing is
    - AD and IESG comments on the document
    - For documents in IESG consideration for standards track, what the
    individual ADs have indicated as their opinion on the document, and if they
    think there are problems with it, what the comments are.

    The last point is a revision of previous IESG policy, based on the feedback
    from the Yokohama plenary; we are now telling you the names that go with
    each comment from the IESG members.

    The system is far from perfect - you can tell from the history of documents
    that we've been changing this as we go along - but we hope that it will be
    a useful tool for people to figure out what the IESG is doing with their
    documents, and for them to have an easier time talking to the relevant ADs
    in order to get what we all want out of the process - relevant, high
    quality standards for the Internet.

    The tool and its documentation is found at

    https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi

    The link to it is also visible on the IESG Web page.

    Welcome!

                  The IESG

Last updated: Wed Nov 06 11:19:02 2002
12016 messages in chronological order