    RE: iSCSI Boot: Technical Issues

    --- Black_David@emc.com wrote:
    > Except that I think Luben got his left and right
    > reversed ... how about:
    >
    >       Within a group of 4 hexadecimal digits, leading
    > 	zeros MAY be omitted, but at least one digit MUST
    > 	be present if the group is not otherwise omitted.
    > 	A trailing zero-valued group or groups MAY be omitted;
    > 	the recipient MUST assume that omitted groups are zero
    > 	and MUST suffix the zeroes to the right of the supplied
    > 	groups.  A zero group that is to the left of any
    > non-zero
    > 	group MUST NOT be omitted.

    With all due respect David, I do not have my left and right
    reversed.

    Your definition is more reminicent of _how_ to do it,
    rather than the true formalizm of _what_ it is.
    It is also too long, talks about recipient, etc,
    which are NOT needed since the right/left rule can
    be applied at either end to the same effect.

    ``Within each group of 4 hexacedimal digits zeros are
      filled to the right, and groups of zeros are filled
      to the left.''

    This is a necessary and sufficient definition, the minimal
    such, and one may derive all of the stipulations which
    you've mentioned.

    E.g. the fact that a leading 0000 group must not be
    omitted,
    is implicit in this definition. (else, the LUN
    representation would be ambiguous, contrary to the
    assumption that it is not.)

    group: an ordered sequence of 4 hexadecimal digits.
          (ordered -- human brain assumes without question)

    within each group ... filled to the right:
      4 --> 0004, and etc _recursively_ for as many groups
    there'd be (max 4 groups in LUN), i.e. 4-4 -> 0004-0004

    groups of zeros are filled to the left:
    that is, this is done to complement to 4 groups,
    e.g. from the previous example:
    0004-0004 -> 0004-0004-0000-0000

    The more challenging example 0-4-0-4 is left as
    an exercise to the reader. :-)

    Thus, one cannot assume that 4 can somehow be equivalent
    to 0000-0004-0000-0000, because of the _left_ rule -- that
    is groups of zeros are ONLY filled to the left!
    (as the definition stipulates)

    Nevertheless, the definition I gave is more mathematical,
    and though clearer, succinct and straightforward, I can
    see how the average reader could cough up reading it.

    --
    Luben

    =====