    Re: iSCSI Boot: Technical Issues

    Prasenjit-

    I like the dashes better.  They would also make it easier to just
    specify the part of the LUN structure that is needed. SAM-2 section
    4.9 defines three formats for 4-byte LUNs; the first two only use
    the first 16 bits, and most implementations only use these.  I still
    think that it will be a relatively rare case to use more than the
    first four digits.

    Can I suggest:

    Single-level LUNs (defined in SAM-2 4.9.3) use xxxx; these can
    have values up to 0x3fff.

    Multiple-level LUNs (defined in 4.9.4) use as many xxxx fields as
    they need (e.g. xxxx-xxxx, xxxx-xxxx-xxxx, and xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx
    are all valid; unspecified xxxx are zeroes).  That would fit well
    with the way the LUN structuring works in SAM-2; each implementation
    uses the number of levels that it needs.

    I just noticed that SAM-2 also allows extended single-level LUN
    fields up to 8 bytes.  It appears that these are there for single-
    level LUN implementations that need to define LUN values greater
    than 0x3fff, without using the multi-level LUN structure which was
    built mostly for (I think) parallel SCSI gateways.

    Anyway, I think that your dash format, allowing for as many sets
    of xxxx as needed, would be the ideal LUN format.

    --
    Mark

    --
    Mark A. Bakke