    RE: iSCSI: Recognizing Recovery R2Ts

    > 	The question is how does an initiator know when a R2T is a recovery
    > R2T and not a normal R2T?  The case I am referring is in regard to the
    > last paragraph in section 9.8 of iSCSI-v17-working:
    >
    > "DataSequenceInOrder governs the buffer offset ordering in consecutive
    >  R2Ts. If DataSequenceInOrder is Yes, then consecutive R2Ts MUST refer
    >  to continuous non-overlapping ranges except for Recovery-R2Ts."
    >
    > So the initiator is allowed to ignore the buffer offset in the case of
    > DataSequenceInOrder=Yes when receiving a Recovery R2T,

    No, the initiator is *never* allowed to ignore the buffer offset.  An
    R2T *always* describes the data that the Target wants transferred.

    > but how does the initiator know in fact an R2T is being used for
    > within-command recovery?  AFAICS there is no "Recovery bit" in the
    > R2T pdu, and am at a loss as to how the initiator would reliably
    > ascertain this situation.

    A Recovery R2T is a retry of part or all of some previous R2T.
    Whether the initiator knows this depends on whether it saw the
    previous R2T.  The initiator's behavir should not be affected -
    it is supposed to respond to R2Ts (including retries, as allowed
    by DataSequenceInOrder - see Section 11.19) until the target gets
    all the data it wants and issues a SCSI Response.

    +1 (508) 249-6449            FAX: +1 (508) 497-8018

Last updated: Mon Sep 16 03:19:01 2002
11839 messages in chronological order