    From: Mark Bakke [mailto:mbakke@cisco.com]
    Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2002 3:34 PM
    To: pat_thaler@agilent.com
    Cc: psarkar@almaden.ibm.com; duncan_missimer@hp.com;
    csapuntz@stanford.edu; erodrigu@Brocade.COM; Black_David@emc.com;
    ips@ece.cmu.edu
    Subject: Re: iSCSI Boot Last Call - Technical Comments

    Pat,

    On #5, I think that this should say "iSCSI Target Name"; as you said,
    portal groups are not necessary for boot.

    Mark

    pat_thaler@agilent.com wrote:

    > Technical
    >
    > 4. last two paragraphs:
    >    "If the "servername" field is provided by DHCP, then that field is
    >    used in conjunction with other associated fields to contact the boot
    >    server in the Boot stage (Section 6).
    >
    >    However, if the "servername" field is not provided, then the
    >    "targetname" field is then used in the Discovery Service stage
    >    (Section 5)."
    >
    > Shouldn't the second paragraph say "is used in conjunction with the other associated fields"? "targetname" doesn't provide the LUN or protocol. The "port" field is may be relevant because the Target address needs to be fetched and will include port if necessary.
    >
    > 5. first paragraph "if the DHCP server ... is unaware of the iSCSI Target Port Name" What does Target port name (defined as iSCSI Target Name together with a label that idenifies it as a target port name and the portal group tag) have to do with this? The DHCP server string definition doesn't include a Target port
     name and even if it did, the discovery service stage would be necessary to convert that into an
    address. The discovery service stage is required if the DHCP server provided a target name because
    it converts target name to an IP address and port number. It is also required if the DHCP server
    didn't provide an iSCSI string.

    --
    Mark A. Bakke
    Cisco Systems