    Re: iSCSI Boot Last Call - Technical Comments

    Mallikarjun-

    My comments are embedded.

    --
    Mark

    "Mallikarjun C." wrote:

    > > consider an application where a host will be able to be booted from
    > > a small set of different LUNs, perhaps to change O/S levels in a
    > > test environment
    >
    > How does the DHCP server distinguish which O/S level the client
    > wants to boot from, to provide the right LUN in the Root Path?

    The DHCP server doesn't.  In this type of environment, the DHCP server
    is generally under the control of the same test folks who are booting
    the servers.  One would manually change the LUN in the DHCP server
    GUI or config file, and reboot.  The DHCP server doesn't have to do
    anything special, but it's one more scenario where the LUN field is
    directly manipulated by a user, which is why I'd like to keep it
    simple.

    > If it's a well-known LUN->O/S_rev mapping that the client boot
    > code uses by convention, then there's no issue with always leaving
    > the LUN field blank (for 0) in the DHCP response.  What am I missing?
    >
    > > I still think that allowing a 16-bit LUN in the string is the
    > > simplest, least error-prone approach.
    >
    > AFAICT, this assumes that the user knows how to figure out which
    > 16-bits of the 64-bit LUN are to be entered into the DHCP server
    > file.  I'm not sure that's a valid assumption.

    Actually, the user only has to worry about this when the 64-bit LUN
    field is used.  The 16-bit version always ends up in the high
    bytes of the LUN field in the protocol, and the user never sees
    this structure, which is really not pretty.  I don't think most
    users will ever want (or need) to see more than a 16-bit LUN.

    > My preference is to require 64-bits always (if non-blank), so the boot
    > client can simply copy the value in the iSCSI PDUs as-is.

    What customer or user looks at iSCSI PDUs?  Would they copy and
    paste one from a network analyzer?  This doesn't make sense to
    me.  End users don't care about PDUs.

    --
    Mark A. Bakke
    Cisco Systems