    From: Julian Satran [mailto:Julian_Satran@il.ibm.com]
    Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 9:56 PM
    To: Bill Studenmund
    Cc: Mallikarjun C.; ips@ece.cmu.edu; owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu; Parthi
    Subject: Re: iSCSI: Question about ErrorRecoveryLevel

    Bill - Yes ERL 1 implies both and at the end of the chapter the classes associated with the level are clearly stated. Julo

    Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@wasabisystems.com>
    Sent by: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    07/17/2002 03:04 AM

            To:        "Mallikarjun C." <cbm@rose.hp.com>
            cc:        Parthi <pamanick@npd.hcltech.com>, <ips@ece.cmu.edu>

    On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, Mallikarjun C. wrote:

    > > Every where within-command and within-connection recovery is discussed,
    > > each of them is described as optional. The quote above doesn't say that
    > > level 1 MUST consist of both within-connection and within-command
    > > recovery.
    >
    > [ The error in grammar is already fixed in the working version. ]

    Cool, I still haven't grabbed -15 yet.

    > The reason MUST language was not used is because the text in question is
    > defining the terminology, but is not phrased in such a way as to place requirements
    > on implementations.  It is similar to several terminology descriptions in chapter 2.
    >
    > My intent when I wrote that text was - because the negotiation of the
    > ErrorRecoveryLevel follows the regular negotiation rules (i.e. don't originate
    > a proposal that you cannot support, and the result function is "minimum"), no
    > additional MUST/SHOULD/MAY language is necessary.  But if you recommend
    > explicit text, I suggest we add the following at the end of the last para of
    > text in 5.13 -

    That though doesn't answer my question. :-) The main question is does
    ErrorRecoveryLevel 1 imply both within-command and within-connection
    support, or does it imply at least one and maybe both?

    If anything, the fact that ErrorRecoveryLevel 1 implies all of 0, and 2
    implies all of 1 and 0, is clear in the draft now.

    > When a defined value of ErrorRecoveryLevel is proposed by an
    > originator in a text negotiation, the originator MUST support the
    > functionality defined for the ErrorRecoveryLevel or functionality
                                                      ^^
    Is this supposed to be "and"?

    > corresponding to any defined value numerically less than the proposed.
    > When a defined value of ErrorRecoveryLevel is returned by a responder
    > in a text negotiation, the responder MUST support the functionality
    > corresponding to the ErrorRecoveryLevel it is accepting.

    If "and" is appropriate, then shouldn't we add, "and all numerically lower
    levels" to the end of the paragraph?

    I'm happy with ErrorRecoveryLevel 1 == both within-connection and
    within-command recovery. I'm also happy with ErrorRecoveryLevel 1 ==
    within-command, within-connection, or both (and ErrorRecoveryLevel 2 being
    both). I just think with the amount of, "optional," used in conjunction
    with error recovery that it's not clear which case we want.

Last updated: Wed Jul 17 14:19:08 2002
11360 messages in chronological order