    RE: IPS-All: Reminder - Security draft last call ends Monday, July 1 at 8am EST

    These are my IPS Security draft last call comments. I'm also impressed about
    the good work others have done.

    I have problems with following text about rekeying and manual keying.

    I. Rekeying and PFS:

    First there are two statements, which I think are not consistent:

    a) 2.1.  Security requirements
    ...The IP block storage security protocols must support perfect
    forward secrecy in the rekeying process.

    b) 2.2.  Resource constraints
    Computational horsepower should be available to perform a reasonable amount
    of exponentiation as part of authentication and key derivation for
    connection setup.  The same is true of rekeying, although the
    ability to avoid exponentiation for rekeying may be desirable (but
    is not an absolute requirement).

    In RFC 2409 is a clear definition of PFS for IKE:
    3.3 Perfect Forward Secrecy
    When used in the memo Perfect Forward Secrecy (PFS) refers to the notion
    that compromise of a single key will permit access to only data protected by
    a single key. For PFS to exist the key used to protect transmission of data
    MUST NOT be used to derive any additional keys, and if the key used to
    protect transmission of data was derived from some other keying material,
    that material MUST NOT be used to derive any more keys.

    If a) is the requirement than you can never avoid exponentiation for
    rekeying because otherwise you must use keying material to derive more than
    one key.

    Second I think PFS should not be a requirement for rekeying, only a nice to
    have. Why?

    There is currently a discussion about PFS and rekeying by SOI in the IPSec
    list and here is what I wrote and nobody opposed me (what not mean that I'm
    right ;-)

    "IMO there is a mix of the issue of PFS and rekeying in the discussion.
    1. Rekeying is needed if the amount of with the same key encrypted data goes
    beyond specific values, because of some passive attacks against the
    encrypted data (dependable also of the encryption algorithm and its mode)
    and the active attack of replaying by ESP after the sequence number counter
    has started again.
    2. The need for PFS by the process of rekeying is not based on protection
    against this attacks under 1.
    3. The property of PFS is an advantage in the case of unauthorized access to
    secret information used to generate the communication keys. If this secret
    information can be secured against unauthorized access then rekeying can be
    done without the property of PFS.
    4. On the other hand there is always a need by IKE to protect secret
    information against unauthorized access used for phase 1 authentication. If
    the protection of this secret information in the system is sufficient why
    should there the protection of another secret information be insufficient?

    My proposal is: Rekeying is necessary under specific circumstances, which
    should be described. PFS is not needed if the secret information used to
    generate different communication keys is protected against unauthorized
    access in the same manner like the phase 1 authentication secret."

    The main reason for avoiding mandatory PFS by rekeying, I think is the
    computational overhead. I have mentioned in the SOI discussion:

    "I found different statements about the CPU time necessary for one
    exponentiation between 30ms and some seconds. In the
    draft-ietf-ips-security-13.txt it's time for rekeying for one SA by 10Gbps
    and 3DES in CBC mode all 27.5s or before 2^35 bytes are sent. Assume the
    case of some hundred SAs per peer with permanently irregularly distributed
    traffic between the SAs. Then rekeying at time is necessary for every SA all
    27.5 s. This looks like a computational border, so you must have
    amount-based rekeying in this case and encrypted bytes or blocks must be
    counted for every SA. Is that a computational border too?"

    There was no answer like "This is no problem".

    Last I like to mention the possibility to rekey without exchanges (and
    without PFS). We have developed a protocol for frequent rekeying without
    exchanges and would be happy if some folks could have a look at this and say
    if it makes sense or not
    (<http://www.rfc-editor.org/internet-drafts/draft-helbig-stealthkey-01.txt>)

    II. Manual keying and PFS:

    First there are again two statements, which I think are not consistent:

    c) 2.3.3. IKE
    ...Manual keying MUST NOT be used since it does not provide the necessary
    rekeying support.

    d) 5.9 Use of AES in counter mode

    ...The implication of this is that it is almost always an error to use
    IPsec manual keying with counter mode, except when the implementation
    takes heroic measures to maintain state across sessions.

    That means there is an exception from MUST NOT?

    Second, if PFS would be not mandatory by rekeying then you can use manual
    keying together with other protocols for frequent rekeying, e.g. our
    proposal.
    Thank you for your patient regarding my bad English.
    Christina

Last updated: Fri Jun 28 21:18:46 2002
11018 messages in chronological order