    RE: Auth method negotiation

    Bill,

    I agree that the target made an error in sending T=1 when it chose an authentication method.

    However, even if it was willing to skip negotiation it must return CHAP when offered AuthMethod=KRB5,SRP,CHAP,None.

    4.3.2 says "-The target MUST reply with the first option in the list it
    supports and is allowed to use for the specific initiator
    unless it does not support any in which case it MUST answer
    with "Reject" (see also Section 4.2 Text Mode Negotiation).
    The parameters are encoded in UTF8 as key=value. For security
    parameters, see Chapter 10."

    So if the target supports CHAP and is allowed to use CHAP for an initiator it MUST reply with CHAP or an earlier alternative in the list when offered CHAP before None for AuthMethod. It cannot reply None. If the initiator would have preferred "None" over "CHAP" it should have placed it before CHAP in the list.

    I think that the next text in 4.3.2 is a bit confusing:
    "-The initiator must be aware of the imminent completion of the
    SecurityNegotiation stage and MUST set the T bit to 1 and the
    NSG to what it would like the next stage to be. The target
    will answer with a Login response with the T bit set to 1 and
    the NSG to what it would like the next stage to be. The next
    stage selected will be the one the target selected. If the
    next stage is FullFeaturePhase, the target MUST respond with
    a Login Response with the Session ID and the protocol version."

    I think "aware of imminent completion" means that the target has sent its last key=value of the security negotiation but it doesn't seem a very clear way to say it.
    Also, the next sentence is not always true. The target might not be ready to set the T bit in the answering Login Response. It might have required more than one PDU to send its final key(s) of the security negotiation. "The target will then set the T bit to 1 and set NSG to the next stage in the Login response where it finishes sending its security keys." would be more accurate.

    Pat