    From: Martins Krikis [mailto:mkrikis@yahoo.com]
    Sent: Friday, June 14, 2002 4:32 PM
    To: pat_thaler@agilent.com; Julian_Satran@il.ibm.com; ips@ece.cmu.edu
    Subject: Re: iSCSI: use of Text/Login with no data segment

    --- pat_thaler@agilent.com wrote:

    > If one wants to retain the idea of not sending empty
    > PDUs when you do have
    > something to say, one could put in:
    > A target or initiator SHOULD NOT use a Text/Login
    > Response or Text/
    > Login Request with no data segment
    > (DataSegmentLength 0) unless
    > responding to a Text/Login Request or Text/Login
    > Response, respectively,
    > with the T bit set to 0 while the node has no keys
    > to send or with the C bit
    > set to 1.

    I don't see a problem with an implementation that
    deliberately sends an empty PDU to let the other
    side "speak" first. Doing this back-and-forth would
    not be a great situation, but IMHO it suffices to
    simply discourage such behavior, without resorting
    to "SHOULD NOT"-s.

    So, how about this instead?

      A target or initiator is discouraged from
      sending Text/Login Response or Text/Login Request
      with no data segment (DataSegmentLength 0) unless
      responding to a Text/Login Request or Text/Login
      Response, respectively, with the C bit set to 1,
      or the F/T bit set to 0 while having no keys to
      send.

    Or, let's just skip such restrictions/discouragements
    entirely.

    Martins Krikis, Intel Corp.

    Disclaimer: these opinions are mine and may not
                be those of my employer.