    The slippery eel of CRC, RE: iSCSI: 12-97 Bit Rule

    On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, CAVANNA,VICENTE V (A-Roseville,ex1) wrote:

    > I believe Bill is correct. The receiver, unlike the transmitter,
    > should not complement the remainder if he expects to get 0x1c2d19ed.
    >
    > I am afraid I may be reponsible for this mistake during an email
    > exchange I and others had with Julian recently. Julian and those
    > others must have trusted me a little too much. Sorry Julian and
    > others.

    It seems like we're changing the text to be clearer for some folks, and
    unfortunately making it more confusing for others. It's like trying to
    catch an eel, as soon as we get a second hand on it, it pops out of the
    first.

    In addition to fixing the above, to be perfectly clear, perhaps we should
    mention that when calculating the CRC over a correctly recevied message +
    CRC, were the receiver to append the result of this calculation to the
    received message + CRC, it would always append the octed stream "c7 4b 67
    48". This example is meant in the spirit of section B.4 where we have
    clear octets to compare against. Actually this bit should probably go in
    section B4 at the end.

    Take care,

    Bill

Last updated: Thu Jun 13 21:18:42 2002