    Re: iSCSI: 12-97 Bit Rule

    Bill Studenmund wrote:

    > However, the IETF uses this bit numbering scheme in ALL of its documents.
    > It is consistent in its bit numbering. Thus if I read an IETF document, I
    > prepare my mind for IETF bit numbering.

    Wow!

    > Note that the IETF is not the only group to use this bit numbering. As I
    > understand it the Mainframe folks use this bit numbering. Also, the
    > documentation I have on PowerPC chips all uses this bit numbering, so it's
    > not something the IETF made up.

    Wow -- so you've just discovered that it is just a convention --
    good for you.

    > Well, two thoughts come to mind:
    >
    > 1) For me, no explanation of how to perform this CRC calculation will make
    > sense if it dives into the space of abstract bit streams and such. My mind
    > works much better with code snippets.

    Aaaah, here is the key!

    And my mind works better when I see more abstract ideas,
    just because the implementation/bit order/byte order doesn't matter.

    > 2) I expect the Linux community will start by looking at the
    > implementations out there. The UNH implementation has CRC32C code in it.
    > That code, AFAICT, is correct.

    You forget that there are incrediby smart ppl there, that will
    most likely NOT look, since they've done it before, long ago,
    in a galaxy far, far away... but I digress.

    > I'm sorry, that came out wrong. If your main point was that your proposed
    > text is independent of bit numbering, then the way you were discussing
    > Julian's use of the bit numbering which is consistent with the rest of the
    > document didn't help. At least not for me.

    Well, what can I say? (red star for Bill, black dot for Luben)

    --
    Luben

Last updated: Thu Jun 13 20:18:53 2002
10791 messages in chronological order