    Re: iSCSI: 12-97 Bit Rule

    Bill Studenmund wrote:

    > On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Luben Tuikov wrote:
    >
    > > Julian Satran wrote:
    > > >  - The PDU bits are considered as the coefficients of a polyno-mial M(x) of degree n-1; bit 7 of
    > > > the lowest numbered byte is considered the most significant bit (x^n-1), followed by bit 6 of the
    > > > lowest numbered byte and through bit 0 of the high-est numbered byte (x^0).
    > >
    > > This description, taken by itself, as you quote it here,
    > > mentions bit 7 of a byte. Normally, bit 7 of a byte is
    > > the Most Significant bit (MSb).
    > >
    > > But somewhere you MUST mention that bit 7 is, contrary to all
    > > intuition, the LSb, NOT, as many of us would assume, the MSb.
    > > (I.e. the _bit_ ordering as per the PDU template doesn't
    > > imply bit significance, or does it?)
    >
    > Uhm, that's standard practice for an IETF draft. While it may be
    > counter-intuitive (I'd agree it is), it's standard practice with the ietf,
    > and is used that way through the draft.

    Other than _repeating_ what Julian has said, do you have a point?

    Anyway, if you had paid attention you'd have noticed
    that the algorithm I sent DOESN'T DEPEND on the
    bit numbering (7:0 or 0:7) of the draft. _This_
    was the more important subject (and my point)...

    --
    Luben

Last updated: Thu Jun 13 18:18:46 2002
10772 messages in chronological order