    Re: iSCSI-Asynch event code

    I don't see a need to allow key re-negotiation during FFP. The only key
    that is really required to be used in FFP is SendTargets.

    The keys that are permitted during FFP are :

    - SendTargets
    - TargetAlias
    - InitiatorAlias
    - TargetAddress
    - MaxRecvDataPDUSize (or whatever its latest name is)
    - Vendor Specific keys

    Of the above, the only real negotiation involves the MaxRecvPDUSize. I
    don't see any use of attempting to modify/negotiate/communicate the
    remaining keys during FFP (with the exception of SendTargets).

    I see no problem in forbidding key re-negotiation during FFP and
    handling PMTU changes by dropping the connection and allowing it to be
    re-established.

    There needs to be a conscious effort to simplify this login negotiation
    process and bound the complexity that's being heaped upon it. If we
    don't make the attempt to keep it simple, we are going to be bitten by a
    bunch of bugs in this area due to its complexity.

    This is one such area where we can choose not to increase the complexity
    of login negotiation.

    There have been some concerns raised about the initiator not logging
    back in upon a target driven logout. Such an initiator driver is a poor
    design. As long as an upper layer in the O.S. has an open pending on
    some LUN of that target port, it is the duty of the initiator driver to
    attempt to keep the I-T nexus established, and if there's a transient
    glitch in the I-T nexus, the initiator must attempt to re-login.

    An initiator that does not do this gets what it deserves. There's no
    need to add complexity to the spec in an attempt to deal with poor
    initiator implementations. The target need not care if the initiator
    does not log back, in this case.

    - Santosh

    --
    The world is so fast that there are days when the person who says
    it can't be done is interrupted by the person who is doing it.

Last updated: Thu Jun 13 14:18:44 2002
10759 messages in chronological order