    Re: iSCSI-Asynch event code

    On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, Santosh Rao wrote:

    > Why is this needed ? The target can just send an async event to drop the
    > connection or request a connection logout, and the connection can be
    > re-established allowing for new negotiation.

    Isn't that a bit severe? That strikes me as kinda like saying you don't
    need an off switch on your car radio because you can just go out and
    unplug the car battery.

    > I don't see the point of making this change so late in the game. There
    > exist mechanisms such as target driven connection logout/drop which can
    > be used to achieve the same effect.

    Then why do we permit any parameter renegotiation at all? Why not just
    always require connection logout/drop to renegotiate?

    > In any case, what do you do if the initiator does not respond with a
    > text message ? The target would end up dropping the cxn with an async
    > message in this case, causing a re-login and thus, re-negotiation.
    >
    > To summarize, I don't see a need for this change, since there are
    > simpler mechanisms to achieve the same effect. In particular, given that
    > we are so close to the finish line, I suggest that we not make this
    > change, but instead, use the async cxn/ssn logout/drop mechanisms.

    I think the point is that if we don't do this, then all the effort put
    into being able to renegotiate parameters (MaxRecvPDUDataSize in
    particular) only works half way - how can the target initiate such a
    negotiation?

    If we do as you suggest (which we certainly can choose to do), then why
    support any FFP renegotiations?

    Take care,

    Bill

Last updated: Wed Jun 12 18:18:45 2002