    From: Bill Studenmund [mailto:wrstuden@wasabisystems.com]
    Sent: Friday, June 07, 2002 10:27 AM
    To: Robert Snively
    Cc: 'Ken Sandars'; Ips Reflector (E-mail)
    Subject: RE: iSCSI: Some proposed vendor-specific (X-) keys

    On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Robert Snively wrote:

    > The management component already has standard mechanisms
    > for determining such information, including MIBs and CIM
    > objects.  The operational components already have standard
    > mechanisms for determining such information, including
    > SCSI INQUIRY commands.  I cannot see how this additional
    > (non-standard) mechanism for capturing this information is
    > going to help iSCSI achieve its goals.

    Question about the operational components being able to determine this
    info. iSCSI is, in terms from SAM-2, a Service Delivery Subsystem (SDS).
    While many implementations act as scsi servers (disks & tapes, etc.),
    that's not part of the spec.

    So I'm confused how an SDS answers a SCSI INQUIRY. I thought that was the
    domain of the device(s) at the other end of the connection, not the domain
    of the connection itself.

    Take care,

    Bill

Last updated: Mon Jun 10 17:19:14 2002