    Re: iSCSI: AHS use

    On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Michael Smith wrote:

    > I have some questions on the current AHS descriptions in 12-97. I just
    > tripped over this, so I think maybe others might too.

    [snip]

    > 2. However, in the PDU format diagram on p. 131 of 12-97 it is not clear
    > that we have the option of zero, one or more Additional Header Segments.
    > After I re-read things a few times, and apologies if I have this wrong, I
    > think that the use of multiple Additional Header Segments is along these
    > lines:
    >
    > (a) Use one and only one Additional Header Segment for an extended CDB (SPC
    > calls this a variable-length CDB). This extended CDB (or variable-length
    > CDB) Additional Header Segment must immediately follow the BHS. (A suggested
    > exact use definition of this type of Additional Header Segment coming up.)
    >
    > (b) Use one and only one Additional Header Segment for an Bidirectional
    > Expected Read-Data Length. This Bidirectional Expected Read-Data Length
    > Additional Header Segment must immediately follow the BHS.
    >
    > (c) Use of more than one Additional Header Segment is left up to the user.
    >
    > How many Additional Header Segments were we expecting to be able to be used?
    > Would this maximum length of Additional Header Segments be limited only by
    > the TotalAHSLength (8-bit field measuring length in four-byte words or
    > ((2**8) - 1) * 4 bytes or roughly 1 kbyte)? Can we follow an extended CDB
    > Additional Header Segment or a Bidirectional Expected Read-Data Length
    > Additional Header Segment by one or more user-defined Additional Header
    > Segment?
    >
    > Did I get this anywhere close to correct?

    Not sure about correct, but you got it as I understand it. :-)

    The one thing I'm not sure about is the use of, "must immediately follow
    the BHS." I agree it must be in the AHS associated with the BHS, but if
    you have a variable-length command (with CDB spill) which is also a bidi
    command, you will have both an (a) and a (b), and only one can immediately
    follow the BHS. :-)

    > 3. In one of Bob Russell's emails we have the following, which does seem to
    > make the use of multiple Additional Header Segments a little clearer to me:

    > [view in fixed-width font on wide window]
    >      +------------------------+
    >      |     required BHS       | > fixed length of 48 bytes
    >      +------------------------+
    >      |     optional AHS 1     |\
    >      | - - - - - - - - - - -  | \
    >      |     optional AHS 2     |  \
    >      | - - - - - - - - - - -  |   > total length in AHS_length field in BHS
    >      |        . . . .         |  /
    >      | - - - - - - - - - - -  | /
    >      |     optional AHS n     |/
    >      +------------------------+
    >      | optional header digest | -- covers preceding (48 + AHS_length) bytes
    >      +------------------------+
    >      |                        |\
    >      |     optional data      | > total length in DATA_length field in BHS
    >      |                        |/
    >
    > Is it possible to add something like this picture to the format diagram on
    > p.131. I wouldn't ask if I hadn't tripped myself up on this already.

    I think such a diagram would help too.

    > 4. On p. 139 of 12-97 we have the following:

    [snip text suggestion]

    > There are 16 bytes in the CDB field to accommodate bytes 0-15 of the
    > commonly used CDBs. An Extended CDB AHS MUST be used to contain bytes 16-259
    > of a variable-length CDB [SPC].

    Sounds like a good change too.

    Take care,

    Bill