    RE: iSCSI: Some proposed vendor-specific (X-) keys

     >> Oh boy, now I'm well and truly frightened.
     >>
     >> I read your message as saying that there isn't going to be
     >> interoperability for several years.  So rather than create a
     >> serious incentive for implementers to fix their defects, we should
     >> implement a way to have them report which collection of defects
     >> they implement so we can invoke workaround collection #42.  Of
     >> course, the larger the collection of crocks we work around, the
     >> larger the number of bugs in implementations that everyone else
     >> will have to work around.
     >>
     >> In the words of a well known American, "Just Say NO".
     >>
     >> paul

     Jim> I am not sure if I agree with the conclusion or not, but I have
     Jim> some concerns about the reasoning behind it.

     Jim> 1. If history is a guide regarding standards of this complexity,
     Jim> then it will likely take some years to resolve all the
     Jim> interoperability issues.  So what is the best thing to do in the
     Jim> mean time?  Is it to make the interoperability issues as painful
     Jim> as possible as an incentive to fix them quickly?  Or is it to
     Jim> make working around as easy as possible so as to foster
     Jim> development of a market and create a financial incentive to fix
     Jim> them at all.

    Clearly I'm looking for the former.  From Ken's comments, it's already
    true that some implementers are taking much too long to fix interop
    problems.  Anything that lengthens the MTTR is in my opinion a bad
    thing.

    I can think of a large number of complex protocols that have adopted
    this hard nosed attitude.  The routing protocols; IPsec/IKE; ATM
    PNNI... none of these send vendor IDs and none of them allow this sort
    of stuff.

    Putting in lots of variable workarounds is a recipe for low quality.
    You end up with a lot more code, its specifications are very ill
    defined (because by definition it deals with malfunctioning
    implementations), and your test matrix just keeps growing and
    growing...  Does that make workaround easier?  Maybe, for a few
    months.  Does it foster development of a successful market for the
    technology?  That's not clear at all.

     Jim> 2.  I don't think it's valid to assume that interoperability
     Jim> problems are necessarily due to defects in the implementation.
     Jim> In fact, those are probably the easier ones to address.  The
     Jim> harder ones are due to defects in the standard itself.  Suppose
     Jim> vendor A and vendor B don't interoperate, but the standard is
     Jim> sufficiently ambiguous that both are fully compliant.  The next
     Jim> rev of the standard needs to fix this, but what is vendor C to
     Jim> do in the mean time?  Also if the standard itself has some
     Jim> defects that need to be worked around by vendors, likely
     Jim> different vendor's work arounds will not be fully interoperable
     Jim> for some period of time.

    I expect you're right to say that some interop problems will be due to
    standards defects.  That makes it all the more important to deal with
    those directly and promptly, rather than put in as many workarounds
    as there are implementations of the standard.

     Jim> Of course, if the standard is perfect, things are a lot easier.
     Jim> But I am reluctant to assume that as a given.

    Yes.  If the standard is correct, then conformance implies
    interoperability.  Unfortunately, few standards are that good.  And,
    even more unfortunately, modern standards processes explicitly
    discourage that level of quality in protocol standards.

         paul

Last updated: Sun Jun 09 20:18:34 2002
10616 messages in chronological order