    Re: iSCSI: Some proposed vendor-specific (X-) keys

    Isn't "generic vendor keys" an oxymoron?  My English was never at Orwelian levels - Julo

    Ken Sandars <ksandars@eurologic.com>
    Sent by: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    06/07/2002 01:49 PM
    Please respond to Ken Sandars

            To:        Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@wasabisystems.com>, <pat_thaler@agilent.com>
            cc:        <dyoung@rhapsodynetworks.com>, <bmastors@allocity.com>, <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
            Subject:        Re: iSCSI: Some proposed vendor-specific (X-) keys

    On Thursday 06 June 2002 11:57 pm, Bill Studenmund wrote:
    > On Thu, 6 Jun 2002 pat_thaler@agilent.com wrote:
    > > Bill,
    > >
    > > If x-keys are used for this then they should be given proper x-key names:
    > > x-reversed.dns_name.key_name
    > >
    > > It is a bad precedent to ignore domain naming in some of the first
    > > x-keys. People wouldn't want the dns name to be a vendor name in this
    > > case but perhaps a neutral party such as SNIA or UNH would be willing to
    > > have its domain name used for such keys (and they have nice short DNS
    > > names).
    >
    > True. Point taken. Any volinteers?

    I agree that proper vendor-specific x-keys should use the reverse-dns format
    as stated. However, in this case the proposed keys are generic (for the good
    of all) and I'd hope are consistent.

    Can we have a set of "well-known" X-keys which just start "X-"?

    It certainly is a legal format according to the spec. Support of course would
    be completely optional for these.

    --
    Ken Sandars
    Eurologic Systems Ltd