    iSCSI: Some proposed vendor-specific (X-) keys

    • To: "Ips Reflector (E-mail)" <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
    • Subject: iSCSI: Some proposed vendor-specific (X-) keys
    • From: Ken Sandars <ksandars@eurologic.com>
    • Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 15:43:09 +0000
    • Sender: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    Hi all,

    Can all you implementers out there consider this proposal please? This is
    intended to be an aid to interoperability. Obviously once the spec is
    approved and everyone is fully complient there will be no need for this.

    This proposal is in no means intended to go into the specification (unless
    people REALLY want it), so feel free to skip this message now ;-)

    I suggest three vendor specific declarative keys which MAY/SHOULD be sent
    during the login phase (during the operational parameter negotiation stage):

    X-vendor
    X-product
    X-revision

    These all contains strings, eg:

    X-vendor=fredsIscsiShop
    X-product=YetAnotherIscsiTarget
    X-revision=1.003

    These keys follow the SCSI inquiry command fields in terms of names, and are
    used to identify the iSCSI node's information.

    What does this achieve? I'm looking for an opportunity to provide automated
    interoperability between systems which are not yet fully complient.

    But I hear you think, "But why don't they just fix them?", and I have to
    agree.

    However, there are a number of iSCSI products which work wonderfully well
    already out there (as long as you don't excite one of their quirks). If you
    find out what you are connecting with during login, you can decide what
    things you should or shouldn't do with it.

    --
    Ken Sandars
    Eurologic Systems Ltd

Last updated: Thu Jun 06 16:18:44 2002