    Re: iSCSI-12-95: header digest error clarification

    Pat,

    From: <pat_thaler@agilent.com>
    To: <cbm@rose.hp.com>; <pat_thaler@agilent.com>; <Julian_Satran@il.ibm.com>
    Cc: <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
    Sent: Friday, May 31, 2002 2:48 PM
    Subject: RE: iSCSI-12-95: header digest error clarification

    > Mallikarjun,
    >
    > I like it, but it has the same problem I pointed out to Paul. Sync and steering
    > (at least as in FIM and as in some of the other candidates) doesn't necessarily
    > allow one to determine PDU length. What it does allow is identifing the start
    > of a header (which may not be the next header after the bad PDU).
    >
    > One could use:
    > "... MUST either discard the header and all data up to the beginning of a later PDU
    > when that location can be ascertained by other means (such as the operation
    > of a sync and steering layer) or close the connection."

    I see your point.  I like this text, but perhaps suggest "reliably" before "ascertained"
    in the above.

    Thanks.
    --
    Mallikarjun

    Mallikarjun Chadalapaka
    Networked Storage Architecture
    Network Storage Solutions
    Hewlett-Packard MS 5668
    Roseville CA 95747
    cbm@rose.hp.com

    > or (to avoid a messy long sentence):
    > "... MUST either discard the header and all data up to the beginning of a later PDU
    > or close the connection. Since the digest error indicates that the length field of the
    > header may have been corrupted, the location of the beginning of a later PDU
    > needs to be ascertained by other reliable means (such as the operation of a sync and
    > steering layer)"
    >

    > Pat

Last updated: Wed Jun 12 19:18:46 2002
10734 messages in chronological order