    Re: [iSCSI]: Key negotiation procedure proposal

    --- Luben Tuikov <luben@splentec.com> wrote:
    > > I do not know if we have to end the connection
    > after the Reject, but if the
    > > Originator sends it again, then shut down.  I see
    > no value in going on and
    > > on (like this thread).  lets move to closure here.
    >
    > Ok, ``simple implementation'' handles this.

    And it's a good one. But it's a subset of what's
    currently allowed. Yes we could fight for
    restricting the current rules a little and thus
    hit your "simple implementation" proposal exactly,
    but, it's probably not worth doing it.

    > But, John, what else can we do after sending
    > key=Reject
    > _and_ inter-operate?!

    Live with former (possibly default values) or we
    don't interoperate. Why should I try my best to
    interoperate with somebody who is either incompatible
    with me (in case of list-value rejection) or who
    is sending me junk (simple-value rejection)?

    > We have to have some stringent rules, in order to
    > achieve inter-operability _and_ negotiation
    > convergence.

    If there is strict no-renegotiation (including
    keys answered with reserved values), which I now
    believe is the case, then there is little worry
    about convergence. And you need a counter anyway,
    to guard against never ending blank requests.
    As to interoperability, I'm saying "play tough"
    and soon everybody will be forced to play by
    the rules.

    > If you have a constructive suggestion (a rule,
    > ruleset, etc.),
    > please post it.

    We can just leave it as it is, perhaps stressing
    a little more that no key may ever travel twice
    in the same direction (regardless of value).

    Martins Krikis, Intel Corp.

    Disclaimer: these opinions are mine and may not
                be those of my employer