    Re: iSCSI: list negotiation description

    What version did you look at?  Considering the date of your mail it must have been 12-91 only that 12-91 does not contain the text you quote - Julo

    Martins Krikis <mkrikis@yahoo.com>
    Sent by: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    05/23/2002 12:37 AM
    Please respond to Martins Krikis

            To:        ips@ece.cmu.edu
            cc:
            Subject:        iSCSI: list negotiation description

    First a question again:

    What is the point of allowing "inadmissible
    values" (or in case of lists, lack of acceptable
    values) be answered with an "admissible value"?

    Now the problems.

    Page 69, bottom paragraph:

     If a responder does support, understand or
     is allowed to use none of the offered options
     with a specific originator, it MAY use the
     constant "Reject" or it MAY respond with an
     admissible value. The selection of a value
     not offered is considered a negotiation
     failure and is handled as a protocol error.

    made me believe that the phrase "or it MAY respond
    with an admissible value..." will be removed.

    Since it hasn't been, I'll point out again that
    it contradicts the very next sentence, because
    this "admissible value" would be a "value not
    offered".
    Also, I must say that I almost regret having
    started picking on the beginning of this paragraph,
    because IMHO it has gotten worse. I'm still
    proposing this:

     If each of the offered values is not understood
     or not supported, or the responder is not allowed
     to use it with the specific originator, it MUST
     use the constant "Reject".

    Note that because other reasonable alternatives
    are eliminated, the original "MAY" can change to
    "MUST". (Which should be a good thing, BTW.)

    Thanks,

     Martins Krikis, Intel Corp.

    Disclaimer: these opinions are my own and may not
               not be those of my employer