    RE: iSCSI: Login Request error

    On Wed, 22 May 2002, Martins Krikis wrote:

    > Pat, Luben,
    >
    > I think we're fighting an uphill battle here...
    >
    > I've been complaining about some of the same
    > things, and, as Luben said, nobody cared. I get
    > the feeling that there is a bigger wish to get the
    > draft "out" despite the ambiguities and problems in
    > both the negotiation protocol and its description,
    > than to change a single thing "this late".

    I hope there isn't. If we let out a sucky protocol, we're stuck with it.

    > I think there is also an assumption (that I don't
    > hold) that having choices in the negotiation
    > protocol allows more freedom to implementations
    > and thus simplifies them.

    I agree with you; let's make things explicit. It does make things easier.
    :-)

    > Luben was asking whether EBNF would be used
    > if submitted. I personally doubt it, since
    > perfectly reasonable regular expressions were
    > dropped.
    >
    > And there is probably little point asking the
    > phylosophical questions. I still don't see the
    > value of Irrelevant, allowing Reject-ed keys
    > to be renegotiated, allowing not Reject-ing
    > "inadmissible" values, allowing omission of
    > boolean values, base64 for anything but binary
    > strings, and many other "features". But I'll
    > probably receive email telling me to "move on"
    > just for mentioning this stuff here again...

    Well, I'm not trying to tell you to move on. :-)

    We agree about base64 - it's great for binary strings, but not numbers.

    I'm not sure about renegotiating REJECTED keys. I think it'd depend on
    what the likely reasons for rejection are, and how likely they will be
    different the second time.

    I guess irrelevant makes sense for things like negotiating marker spacing
    when you don't support markers.

    > Or the best explanation will be "we talked about
    > it here, but nobody objected too strongly".
    >
    > Anyway, I'm behind you in your efforts and looks
    > like I should resume some of my own battles
    > (no-renegotiation rule unclear).

    :-)

    Take care,

    Bill