    RE: iSCSI Inband authentication (SRP/CHAP) - proposed resolution

    Responding to Paul Koning's concerns:

    [Paul Koning 1]: 96 bits of entropy requirement is not testable, and
    	should be removed for that reason, ditto the dependence of the
    	"MUST use ESP" and related requirements on this level of entropy.

    In practice, many cryptographic protocols depend on high entropy;
    both IKE and SRP almost certainly break in some ways if their nonces
    aren't random.  I agree that there's no good way to test the entropy
    of a generator of randomness, but I believe we need some way to
    discriminate between weak and strong CHAP secrets in the requirements
    language, as the alternatives to not doing this may include "SHOULD
    use" or "MUST use" ESP encryption with CHAP in all cases, which I
    suspect folks will find far less palatable.  Also, we have this issue
    elsewhere in that inadequate entropy in their nonces almost certainly
    breaks IKE, SRP, and Kerberos in various ways.

    [Paul Koning 2]: A "MUST use" for ESP with weak CHAP secrets should
    	be avoided.

    Part of the motivation for this is definitely to provide an incentive
    to use strong secrets with CHAP.  Given that the "MUST use" applies only
    when a SHOULD is ignored, I don't think it's that objectionable, and
    there was an example of a similar "MUST use" involving SIP mentioned
    on the call whose details I don't have to hand.  In essence, the position
    being taken here is that CHAP with a weak secret (e.g., password) is
    sufficiently weak that one shouldn't fool oneself into thinking that
    it provides any real protection unless something else (ESP encryption)
    is done.  That would be a fair topic for discussion.

    +1 (508) 249-6449 *NEW*      FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500
    black_david@emc.com         Cell: +1 (978) 394-7754

Last updated: Wed May 22 18:18:29 2002
10221 messages in chronological order