    RE: iSCSI Inband authentication (SRP/CHAP) - proposed resolution

    Responding to Ofer's concerns, let me know if I get any of the
    paraphrasing wrong.

    [Ofer Biran 1]: Since requirements for what to do when secrets
    	weaker than 96 bits of randomness are used, is the SHOULD for
    	96+ bits of necessary?

    Good question.  It'll help when an external RADIUS server is used
    to verify CHAP authentication.  It also scopes the "MUST use
    ESP" requirement to apply only when the SHOULD is ignored.

    [Ofer Biran 2]: Mutual authentication is being introduced as a
    	SHOULD requirement very late in the process.  The requirement
    	should be removed; mutual authentication should remain OPTIONAL.

    I believer Ofer is correct about this.  I believe the important aspect
    is to be sure to include Paul Koning's example and associated text
    about how to prevent reflection attacks on CHAP if/when it used for
    mutual authentication.  In the absence of strong interest in imposing
    this requirement, I think we should return to the previous situation.

    +1 (508) 249-6449 *NEW*      FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500
    black_david@emc.com         Cell: +1 (978) 394-7754

Last updated: Wed May 22 17:18:35 2002
10216 messages in chronological order