    Re: iSCSI: Logout and recovery notes

    Hi Mallikarjun,

    I've a confusion regarding the mapping of Logout reason codes that you have refered in the mail attached below.

    You have written,

    The entire logout discussion in logout section is completely applicable also for an implicit Logout effected by way of a connection reinstatement or session reinstatement. The Logout reason codes for implicit Logout are specified as below -

    Reason code Type of implicit Logout

    0 session reinstatement

    1 connection reinstatement when the operational ErrorRecoveryLevel < 2

    2 connection reinstatement when the operational ErrorRecoveryLevel = 2

    As per my understanding, in case of implicit logout i,e in CSM-I scenario, We will proceed with Login request with the same CID in case of connection reinstatement and with TSIH=0 in case of session reinstatement. When will we send the Logout request with the above reason code in this scenario.

    -regards,

    Chhavi.

    "Mallikarjun C." wrote:

    Julian,

    A couple of notes -

    1. Section 9.14 (last para on page 170) still contains references
    to the restart option of the Login command - they should be
    removed.

    2. The following text in the next paragraph says that some unacknowledged
    commands may be discarded on a Logout. Since some of the unacknowledged
    commands may be instantiated and could legally be reassigned by virtue of being
    active tasks (just like acknowledged commands), I suggest we make the current
    text more specific to exclude that case by rewording the current sentence -

    "Sending a logout request with the reason code of "close the connection" or "remove the connection for
    recovery" may result in the discarding of some unacknowledged commands."

    to:

    "A successful completion of a logout request with the reason code of "close the connection" or "remove the
    con! nection for recovery" results in the discarding of all tasks waiting in the command reordering queue that
    are allegiant to the connection being logged out."

    3. In general, the Logout section should add text along the lines of -

    The entire logout discussion in this section is completely applicable also
    for an implicit Logout effected by way of a connection reinstatement or
    session reinstatement. The Logout reason codes for implicit Logout are
    specified as below -
    Reason code Type of implicit Logout
    0 session reinstatement
    1 connection reinstatement when the operational ErrorRecoveryLevel < 2
    2 connection reinstatement when the operational ErrorRecoveryLevel = 2

    4. It seems to me that continuing text tasks across connection failures is prone
    to error since some of the negotiated ones can be CO, and some can be (perhaps
    vendor-unique) SW. The discussion on text negotiation (probably section 9.10)
    should add text along the l! ines of -

    On a connection failure, an initiator must either explicitly abort any active allegiant
    text negotiation task or must cause such a task to be implicitly terminated by the target.

    Regards.

    Mallikarjun