    Re: FCIP: Comment 120 - connection endpoint

    Mallikarjun,

    I think we should stop worrying about what the FCIP Entity
    'is' and start focusing on what it 'does'. One could argue
    that taking this approach fails to address the clarity issue
    you have described. But, I feel that it gets the names out
    of the way and directs attention to the requirements.

    With this in mind, I propose changing the sentence below
    figure 4 that we have been discussing as follows.

    The FCIP Entity is the connection interface point for the
    IP Network and is the owner of the IP Address and Well Known
    Port used to form TCP Connections.

    to:

    The FCIP Entity receives TCP connect requests on behalf of
    the FCIP_LEPs that it manages. In support of this, the FCIP
    Entity is the sole owner of at least one TCP port/IP Address
    combination used to form TCP Connections. The TCP port may be
    the FCIP well known port at a given IP Address.

    Thanks.

    .Ralph

    "Mallikarjun C." wrote:

    > Ralph,
    >
    > > FCIP appears to be a case where everything you have ever seen is turned
    > > on its head.
    >
    > Actually, the reality isn't so bad - on-the-fly instantiation of application structures
    > is a fact of life for most TCP listeners, for ex., iSCSI session on targets.
    >
    > I think the draft is simply describing the notion of "connection interface point" from TCP's
    > perspective, while describing the idea of "connection endpoint" from application (FCIP)
    > perspective.
    >
    > Perhaps this distinction needs to made clear in description of these ideas -
    > at least this wasn't obvious to me earlier.
    >
    > Regards.
    > --
    > Mallikarjun
    >
    > Mallikarjun Chadalapaka