    Re: FCIP: Comment 120 - connection endpoint

    Ralph,

    > Mallikarjun,
    >
    > > Further, I think the term "connection interface point" needs to be
    > > consistently used in the draft.   The last para on page 10 defines
    > > that the "connection interface point" is the *FCIP_DE* that's part
    > > of FCIP_LEP.  The second-to-last para on the same page further says
    > > that FCIP_LEP is on the "line" joining FCIP Entity  with the FC Entity
    > > - IOW, belongs to neither.
    >
    > My search of the draft finds exactly one use of the phrase "connection
    > interface point" and that usage is in the sentence under discussion in
    > section 6.4 on page 12.
    >
    > Looking at page 10 all I see are terms like "endpoint" and "end of
    > the FCIP Link". I guess there is an assumption that "endpoint" is
    > somehow synonymous with "connection interface point".

    Sorry, that's what I meant though my phrasing incorrectly implied otherwise...

    >That is not
    > true. The phrase "connection interface point" was chosen for the
    > text in page 12 because what is being discussed on page 12 is not
    > exactly the same thing as an "endpoint".
    >
    > Consider the revised sentence again:
    >
    >   "The FCIP Entity is the connection interface point for the IP Network
    >   and is the sole owner of at least one TCP port/IP Address combination
    >   used to form TCP Connections. The TCP port may be the FCIP well
    >   known  port at a given IP Address."

    This is good (but see below).

    > Viewed in context, "connection interface point" is synonymous with
    > "the place to which TCP connect requests are directed". It is not
    > and is not intended to be synonymous with the endpoint of a TCP
    > Connection once that TCP connection is formed.

    It's unclear to me how the two are different.  In all the implementations I
    had seen, your connection endpoint is where you sent the connection
    requests to - i.e. the connection interface point.....
    --
    Mallikarjun

    Mallikarjun Chadalapaka
    Networked Storage Architecture